Saturday 9 May 2015

Unit X Evaluation

This year and unit X especially has been a time I have really used to question my practice and my overall approach to my work and the outside world. I feel it has really changed and refined me as both personally and a creatively.  In this last year I have developed more confidence and self-belief, which has caused my work to progress into areas I would of never of, considered before.

Unit X has been a opportunity for me to refine my work and prepare myself for graduation. Overall I feel I have succeeded. I wanted to use the body of illustrations I had been developing in the Previous Practice Unit and experiment with how they could be applied to different contexts.  I found that each area applied to different areas of context for instance my gothic dark art would be applied to heavy rock album covers or products such as tarot cards. But my more innocent illustrations would be applied to book illustration and large scale.  I discovered I am very hybrid artist. I take my imagination and drawing skill and adapt it to whatever opportunity I find inspirational making me adaptable to many contexts.

Tarot Card Designs
One context i really investigated this unit was large scale installation art for galleries and to make my work three dimensional. During the practice Unit I used that time to gain more understanding of my work and refine my illustrations but in Unit X I wanted to take that knowledge and start to experiment with how I could take the characters and places I imagine and make them visible for others to experience.

Developing this idea has been a very enjoyable experience for me. I started to work with 3d design in Unit x last year collaborating with a 3d student and I really enjoyed it. I have always enjoyed visualising and making 3d objects so it seemed like a logical step. Reflecting on past years I realised I had not done enough experimenting and testing and everything was very 2d. This Unit have made a large number of 3d models in a variety of materials and ways to really test and trail applying my drawing to surfaces. These included Ceramics, special papers, card, Perspex, chalk pens etc.

The testing has taught me a lot of new skills and also things that work and don’t work. For example drawing with chalk pens on Perspex worked well but after a while it started to rub off very easily therefore if I ever did an illustration on a shop window etc. I would have to find something else to use that would also rub off. Also through making it helps me see if making what I imagine is as easy as first thought. For instance I chose the pyramid because I thought it was a easy shape to make quickly and neatly however through making I have had to alter the template many times to get the folding accurate and the corners smooth. I also found that having no base on the pyramid made folding them neater easier. Also when testing suspending them for the Installation idea for the degree show, I found they were too light and the fishing wire was not staying straight therefore I had to find a way of weighing them down but using something decorative because they would be visible when suspended inside the pyramids because they will have no base covering.

The testing and making in this unit has definitely taught me the importance of trying ideas because there are many little obstacles that come up which need design solutions which you only discover with testing.

Although I feel overall the Unit has been a really important turning point for me I know there is always things to improve on.  

 Firstly I think Unit X is just the start of taking my work larger scale. The degree show will be my first step at attempting an installation piece and I want to carry on refining and improving to eventually create these Worlds I imagine in galleries.  I have only just started touching on the idea of ‘stepping into my imagination’ and I really want to carry on pushing this concept and collaborating with other practitioners in other areas of design to learn new skills to apply to my work. For instance I really want to learn how to make glass because I feel it is a skill I really want to incorporate into my work.

Networking has also been a dominant part of my practice this year. I want to carry on improving and creating contacts because my efforts so far have offered me some great opportunities and possible work experience for the future. For instance I would not of got the experience I will with Andy singleton and Richard Sweeney if I not for my networking. I feel this experience with them is going to transform my work to a whole other level and answer a lot of questions I have about getting my work in galleries and becoming more adventurous with the Installation art. I will continue to refine and develop my online presence with my Instagram and website growing an audience for my work. I also want to Use my experience of the Vertical gallery pitch and carry on improving my presentation skills and confidence talking about my work to others.

And Finally I want to really use the time after graduation to carry on refining and improving my artwork because drawing is at the core of my whole practice and I feel it is very important for me to continually improve my art so that all the areas I apply it to will improve as well.


Although I feel I still have a lot to learn this year and University in general has been a very life changing experience for me and my work. I look forward to my final degree show and New Designers as my first steps into the Industry.


No comments:

Post a Comment