Friday 13 March 2015

Pyramid Development

Making the Paper cut lamps and book sculpture was a good starting point but i wanted to make larger scale work. Therefore i needed a shape that would be easy to make and quick to make a large number of. Also i wanted to focus more on how i would apply my drawing to the shapes rather than constructing them.

I realised that mountain shapes are a common occurrence in my drawings especially ones inspired by my nordic inspiration. This made me think of the Pyramid shape which would correspond with my drawings and is easy to make. Below is my mood board i produced as research of already existing pyramid installation art.


From the research i found the smaller pyramids most appealing because they looked like little mountains from my drawings and together created a textural environment. I felt that because they were small they would also force people to really concentrate and look closer at the details of my installation and experience my work more. 

I began to make a range of different sketches and ways the pyramids could be used. They could all be one design or they could all have separate identities each representing a character or place. I really enjoyed the process of quick sketching because it allowed me to get all the ideas out of my head for others to see and understand better. It is something i will continue to do in the future because i think of a lot of ideas but need to record them more. (see below).

Initial Ideas
Refined Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment